Thread: New Lights,

I'm New Here

New Lights,

My VHOs are in need of new ends and new bulbs and a new ballast LOL. Half of my VHOs went out on my tank today. I have 8 bulbs and was thinking rather then fixing them up I might go with some LEDs.

We saw these and was wondering if they are any good and if they would work alone or would I need some other lighting for it to look right.

MarsAqua Dimmable 165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum Reef Coral SPS LPS

My tank is a 8 foot by 24 by 25 and right now it is a LPS tank but we will be getting back into the SPSs later on.

Are these lights any good or is it a bad brand. Will I have to fool with them a lot. Any and all help would be awesome!

I don't know a thing about LED so I'm going to need a lot of help on them.

Administrator
    Mars led fixtures will be adequate and give you the full spectrum needed to keep your corals growing and looking good.
    Plenty of hobbyists on Reef2reef and Reef Central have had good success with them.
    Two other black box leds that perform well and have a strong following are,
    SBREEF leds and Reef Breeders.
    Both of those are reasonably priced and both companies have warranties as well.
    I think you'll like the switch to leds. It takes a little bit of tinkering with the settings to get the colors where you want them but once you get the channels dialed in you're good. One o f the biggest things is not having to worry about changing fluorescent tubes every 6 to 12 months.
    Many hobbyists, including myself, run hybrids now. I run a led/t5 combo which is sure to cover the full spectrum of lighting needs for all corals and provide adequate light throughout the entire tank without any shadows. I built my own fixture to fit my specific needs.
    Leds by themselves however, are more than capable of providing everything needed for healthy corals and good colors. Just make sure that you have enough fixtures to cover your tank .
    Some people buy what the manufacturer recommends for coverage. Most of the time people end up having to turn the emitters up to peak levels just to get good coverage and provide ample lighting to all corals. All it does is create an uneven balance of light. Corals directly under the units end up browning or losing color while others outside of the direct light receive the amount needed. I'd rather have units spread across the entire length of the tank rather than having the fixtures spaced far apart leaving voids in proper lighting.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Administrator
    https://sbreeflights.com/

https://www.reefbreeders.com/

I'm New Here
    TY for your advice. I will make sure and get 6 of them instead of the 4 that it said I would need. Do u think 6 of them will be enough? Should I run them long ways left to right or the long way front to back. Last question U said T5s but would the VHOs do the same job. I still have 4 of the VHOs working.

Administrator
    What are the lengths of the Mars fixtures? Depending on the length and number of leds they might be all you need as far as leds. It also might depend on how high you plan on mounting them along with the lenses that they use. The higher you can hang them the better the spread. The closer to the water surface the better the penetration will be to corals lower in the tank.
    You can use the vho tubes also the same way as people use the T5's as hybrids.

I'm New Here
    They are 16 L x 8W x 2tall and it looks like 55 LEDs. They are suppose do a 24x24x24 tank. The canopy is 9 inches tall. Awesome on the VHOs.
    Last edited by Bump1; 08-22-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Administrator
    I think 6 will be sufficient. Do you have a Center brace?
    You won't have a problem with getting enough light to the bottom of the tank. Leds pack a punch. Getting the correct spread is usually the issue. A few things come into factor with spread. Leds, like metal halides are a point source lighting. The strongest output is directly under leds just like metal halides. That's probably about where the similarities end. Unlike metal halides, where a reflector is needed to spread the full spectrum of lighting and provide wider coverage, it takes multiple led emitters to do the same. In order to get the full spectrum it takes multiple colors spread out in the fixture.
    The lenses on leds are tight. It's pretty much the same as looking through binoculars or a telescope. The light being emitted is very focused and spread is minimal the closer they are to the surface.
    Many people have found that manufacturers suggested specs as far as spread can be misleading and depends on a couple of things.
    One is the angle of the lenses. Are they 120, 80, 60 or a higher or lower number. The smaller the number the more focused but less spread.
    Two is how high are they off the water surface. The higher the better. You get more spread and distribution from the colors of the leds the higher they are.
    Some people find that they can't get enough light throughout their tanks and run their fixtures at almost full to full power only to find that the corals directly under the fixtures start to lose color or burn. The corals that are outside or deeper in the tank do ok. Usually if a manufacturer recommends 2 units for a 4 foot tank, I'd suggest 3. With 3 over 4 feet, you want have to run them at higher power consumption to compensate for the lack of light output. You also have more flexibility in mounting them over a tank and still achieve desired results.
    One example is a friend of mine. He has a 10 foot 600 gallon tank. He has 12 of the ecotech radions mounted over it. If he went by the suggested manufacturers specs he'd only need to run about 8 of them. However seeing his tank in person you would understand why he runs more than what's suggested. He'd have shadows throughout the tank unless he ran them at higher power consumption and the balance of light would look horrible.
    Leds require some tinkering and adjusting until you get things just right. The less shadowing and more balance you are able to achieve the easier it will be to get the results you want with them. If you run a combo led/t5/vho/mh, you'll most likely be pleased with the results. Leds by themselves are still more than enough for the most part.
    I had another friend who was replacing his t5's on one of his tanks. I told him about the sb reef leds. He bought one. After he set it up on his 40 gallon frag tank he ordered several more to replace the lights on all of his other tanks.
    Several people I know run the Mars leds over their tanks as well and love them. Try the 6 fixtures and see how they work. If you find that you need a couple more then at least they aren't that expensive.

NTRH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bump1 View Post
    TY for your advice. I will make sure and get 6 of them instead of the 4 that it said I would need. Do u think 6 of them will be enough? Should I run them long ways left to right or the long way front to back. Last question U said T5s but would the VHOs do the same job. I still have 4 of the VHOs working.
    i used to have a 9 feet long tank and only had 4 lights and they covered the whole tank. but if you want more light 5 will be more than enough. dont have mars but same Chinese lights