I'm New Here

New Aquarium Hobbyist - Looking for Additional Guidance/Advice

I am new to the hobby and the folks at Dallas North Aquarium (Conner is great!) told me about this forum and all the good information here. I have read several of the articles and have been doing "tons-o-research". I have formulated my questions and would like some general advice/guidance.

• Red Sea Deluxe 250 Reefer Setup (Purchased-waiting on delivery)
    • Dry Rock or Live Rock? I have read several articles that state dry rock is better (no hitch-hikers) and a single "seed" live rock to get moving along, this would mitigate "hitch-hickers"
    • Living Sand - thin layer only
    • Sump (comes with the unit) but should I use a Refugium? if so plants? which plants? (Red Mangrove)?
    • Protein Skimmer? Reading i need this at some point but not while it is cycling?
    • Gyre Jet? Which size for the tank? Or is another brand better?
    • Macro Algae and/or Micro Algae? Starting point? I have limited research here.

While i know fish are a bit off with the cycle etc - what should i be looking at first (Occ Clowns?) and Zoa coral? Maybe LPS? As you may be able to tell i have several questions and they are going all over the place. ANY help would be accepted and appreciated!

Thanks,

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    I am new to the hobby and the folks at Dallas North Aquarium (Conner is great!) told me about this forum and all the good information here. I have read several of the articles and have been doing "tons-o-research". I have formulated my questions and would like some general advice/guidance.

• Red Sea Deluxe 250 Reefer Setup (Purchased-waiting on delivery)
    • Dry Rock or Live Rock? I have read several articles that state dry rock is better (no hitch-hikers) and a single "seed" live rock to get moving along, this would mitigate "hitch-hickers"
    • Living Sand - thin layer only
    • Sump (comes with the unit) but should I use a Refugium? if so plants? which plants? (Red Mangrove)?
    • Protein Skimmer? Reading i need this at some point but not while it is cycling?
    • Gyre Jet? Which size for the tank? Or is another brand better?
    • Macro Algae and/or Micro Algae? Starting point? I have limited research here.

While i know fish are a bit off with the cycle etc - what should i be looking at first (Occ Clowns?) and Zoa coral? Maybe LPS? As you may be able to tell i have several questions and they are going all over the place. ANY help would be accepted and appreciated!

Thanks,
    I would go with Dry rock
    I would go with a Refugium and go with Chaetomorpha Algae.
    Get you a skimmer