Premium Member

Astraea ... with babies????

Hello everyone!

Here's a little bit of background... I took a rock out of my tank that had red slime on it to remove it with a soft toothbrush. One of my snails, an Astraea, was on there so I took it off and threw it in the tank and thought nothing of it. After my cleaning I put the rock back and noticed the snail was on the glass. After a closer look it appeared to have babies. What do you all think?

snail.jpg

Speaking of snails.... I think I need some more snails and crabs for my system. Anyone interested in getting in on a group order? If I have enough interest I'll start one up in the group buys forum. I live in North Plano near Frisco. To give you all an idea as to where I live and where you would have to drive to pick up your livestock.
    Last edited by CSMF97; 10-20-2014 at 04:37 AM.

Administrator
    Hmmm...IMO, I would seriously cancel out baby Astraeas. I say that because the subject has come up in the hobby many times about people seeing snails in their tanks that resemble baby Astraea Snails. Many times they end up being hitch hikers that came in through live rock, corals, inverts live sand and other tank inhabitants.
    Some could be good because they help with their grazing capabilities while others can be parasites that are capable of wreaking havoc to other tank inhabitants which includes snails, crabs clams and other inverts.
    There are great hitch hiker snails that are welcomed like:
    - Collinista
    -Stomatella
    -Chiton

On the other hand their are many other parasitic snails that as mentioned will cause problems, sometimes create serious problems that if left untouched will cause long term damage to keeping a successful and healthy tank. Some of these are:

-Certain Limpets ( such as keyhole limpets)
    - Sundial Snails
    -Pyramid Snails
    and many others that I wont list due to what you appear to have in your tank at the moment.

In your case those look like Pyramid Snails. They are known hitch hikers with clams but also with other snails and inverts. They are none the less considered parasites and can/will be the cause of casualties in your tank over time.
    Take a look at the ones described in these links. No doubt IMO that the ones in these photos and links are exactly the same as the ones you have on your snail.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...nftt/index.php

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/gene...k-here-id.html

Premium Member
    Thanks man! I'm glad I posted a pic for you guys to see. I'll get to work on removing them. I'm glad I didn't pick up a clam that I was planning on buying.

My six line has had a pretty big belly ever since I got him a month and half ago. Hopefully, he's catching some of these guys as they appear to be nocturnal.

Thanks again!!

Administrator
    No problem. Hope you get them removed before they harm anything.

Premium Member
    Quick update: Last night I removed the pyramids from my snail. Man these things are small... about the length of a fine point ball pin.

Last night and tonight I took a good look for little critters. I believe I have quite a few Collinista. Though I can't be 100% sure as when I look at pics online some say they are tiny and white while other say they have a spiral type design. The ones I have are tiny and white. Anybody have thoughts on that? Aside from my green polyp duncan, all my corals appear to be doing well.

Administrator
    The Collinista snails are white as well. I have a tone of them in my tank. They are harmless as far as I know and usually can be found on the glass, in my chaeto, in my skimmer eating the waste that builds up in the neck and other parts of my tank where there may be algae.
    It's hard to describe their shape but when I get a chance I can post a pic if you would like to compare what I have vs. the ones you have.