Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mixed reef

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paddling oars View Post
    Someone told me not to have leathers in an sps tank. Maybe I will pull my leathers out and put them in my 100 gal.
    That all depends on what your want to accomplish with the corals you want in your set up. I've seen many successful mixed reef tanks, sps, lps, softies, anemones, clams, gorgonians, etc, all thriving well together in person as well as from photos on many online forums.
    In my experience the main thing about soft corals is the mucus that they shed or put off. It usually ends up floating around in the water column before landing on other corals. Some corals it doesn't affect at all and some it does. The mucus can contain toxins or sting other corals depending on the species. In other cases the mucus can be harmless.
    I have sps and soft corals growing next to each other with little to no affects at all. In other cases I've had to move one or the other because they were killing each other.
    Another thing about mixed reef tanks is the amount of nutrients available. Soft corals will consume nutrients and utilize them very well and will also consume bigger pieces of food that sps corals wont. Because of that soft corals will grow at a faster pace compared to sps. Lps corals can compete much better with soft corals to an extent. You may find the opposite as well. If conditions are right, low nutrients and somewhat sterile water conditions along with good lighting, sps corals will thrive while softies and certain lps will do poorly.
    Many times we put a priority on coral species that we like best and other corals that need certain requirements similar to their natural habitat don't do well.
    To really answer your question, it would be hard to say that if you do one thing then you will have success with the other. I've seen many hobbyists follow trends and the notion that all sps don't like nutrients or " dirty" water. For the most part that's simply not true. It's still good practice to keep nutrients within the proper ranges however just like alkalinity and calcium as well as magnesium. Just like these 3 supplements, there is no precise number that will give you the exact results you want but keeping them within proper ranges and maybe tinkering within the ranges you will find the sweet spot that works for your tank for best growth and color.
    Again there are just too many factors as to why some corals don't thrive well in a certain tank while others do. I could go on and on with things to consider like water flow, skimmer size, type of lighting and the quality instead of the total output of your lighting, type of foods your feed and the quality, how often you feed, temp fluctuations between night and day, etc. etc.
    You'll also often notice an increase in alk and calcium uptake when you add more and more frags and those frags are noticeably growing. Sometimes you wont even notice the growth immediately but even if they are encrusting they are still using a considerable amount of calcium and alk as they are building the foundation to spread themselves. Keep in mind also that coralline algae uses a great deal of calcium and alkalinity as well. It's not always just the corals that are pulling the numbers down. If you have a clam, then be prepared to go through supplements even quicker.
    For the most part, when it comes to mixing coral species together it's usually done on an experimentation basis unless you've already had experience with the different species that you are keeping and know what to expect from them living together.
    Eric Borneman put it best in one of his articles. In the article he said that to put things in perspective when it comes to corals, it would take an Olympic sized swimming pool for a single frag to replicate what the ocean provides to the coral reefs. He even said that even then an Olympic sized swimming pool might be undersized.
    Just thought that I would bring up some points here to consider.

NTRH Member
    Thanks. Yeah lighting could be it as I have heard people switching abd then corals take off. I took the two leathers out and stuck them in the other tank. If the emporwr eats them oh well. Still got a tiny devils hand in the bavk but I will get that later. Gonna just leave it alone now. Tem flux is 78.9-80.0. I may increase my dosing.

NTRH Member
    I feed lrs reef frenzy, rods reef frenzy, mysis and cyclops all together in a cu with zoa and garlic. Usually do this in about 4 day incriments.

NTRH Member
    I also turn my skimmer off and use reef snow at night once a week.