Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mixed reef

NTRH Member

mixed reef

Tank is slowly voming together. Another 4-6 montjs and its gonna be nice. Gone through a learning curve, adding more sps has had me consantly uping my doses. Also the trace element from bionic matter way more now than when I had far less sps&lps. Brs a&b worked fine before. Anyway here is a few pics.

Nice. How did you do the rock on the back wall? Foam?
    30 gal custom rimless zoa garden, 110 gal custom rimless planted freshwater, 40 gal peninsula mixed reef pure clownfish tank, clowns, clowns, clowns

NTRH Member
    I bought the tank from chuck from forum. He made the rock wal custom himself out of real live rock. Zip tied and apoxied to egg crate. The tank is super heavy, took 4 guys to move with all watwr and sand removed.

Administrator
    Your tank looks Good! You'll continuously be upping the dosing for sure with sps as they keep growing out.

NTRH Member
    I need a doser, I think that wojld make my tank more stable. I notice more growth when I leave for weekend and dont have anyone to dose. So maybe the tank stays stable longer. When I first started with sps and had a few frags they grew like crazy, but now its just slow slow slow. I switched back to bionic from brs 2 part but so far I have not noticed much change. Maybe a little idk. Any ideas? My cal stays between 400-430. Mag beyween 1300-1360. And alk is usuqlly between 9-10. Ph is around 8. Nitrates 0-5 closer to zero thpugh. 0 phosphates. The mystery of coral. They all look good but for an acro to mount a frag stone takes me like 1-3 months depending on how fast of a grower. Seems really slow.

Administrator
    All of your numbers are good. I wouldn't tinker with stuff too much. It seems like you already have a good foundation. A doser would help keep things very stable while away. Most of the time when we don't see our tanks everyday while we are away, we usually can see progress. When we are at home daily and starring at the tanks hour after hour, it seems like nothing is happening. Things are growing....it's just like a child. We see them everyday but someone that sees them on occasion notices a difference each time they visit. Same thing with corals.
    I'd just stick to keeping what you have going now and not try and mess with the chemistry, been there done that. I've often found myself having to patiently wait for things to stabilize again after messing up the water chemistry in which case I've recently found myself doing again. After this time though I've vowed not to change anything again. This will definitely be ky last time trying to do more than what is necessary to keep my tank flourishing.
    Other than regular maintenance and water changes along with supplementing, stick to what you are doing. That's my best advice.

NTRH Member
    I guess I just wonder if other people notice that the more coral they add the less growth they get. I guess as long as they are growing and are healthy then oh well.

Soft corals ive heard put out something like a sent in the water that causes other corals to slow growth. One way to combat that is to add carbon filter and water changes. Now I'm not sure if its true or not. But when I had soft corals my sps grew slow. I took them out and my sps grows kinda fast now.

NTRH Member
    Zoas and polys or jist leathers?

NTRH Member
    Someone told me not to have leathers in an sps tank. Maybe I will pull my leathers out and put them in my 100 gal.